Welcome

Welcome to this corner of the web. Hope you find it interesting. If you do: come back again, tell your mum or subscribe! If you want to share your thoughts on cycling in the early 21st century, then do it.

Wednesday 22 May 2013

Etape du Dales 2013 - review

Well, I managed to get 'round. That's my assessment of my ride in this year's Etape Du Dales sportive which took place under glorious skies last Sunday 19th May. I could ride this event every year for the next 20 and the weather will not be as clement ever again. Barely a breath of wind, literally a couple of spots of rain but mainly bright clear sunshine.
Starting in the Dales town of Grassington - at a rugby club with Glasto standard toilets - the 114 mile route takes in some stunning countryside, severe climbs walks, the UK's highest pub and the magnificent Ribblehaed viaduct.
Green line: anti-clockwise
I was rather hamstrung on the ride by a series of mechanical issues which left me with manual only selection of my chainrings and the inability to climb out of the saddle. I also gave myself a right fright on the first major descent with a mahoosive speed wobble which left me descending like a Wiggins. So doing my best Jan Ulrich impression I managed to nurse myself round in under ten hours.
It's very different from the Fred Whitton in that the climbs are shorter but steeper and you're basically at it all day - up hill and down dale.
Abiding memories include: dry stone walls, gravel, loads of road kill, motorbikes, flapjacks, sunshine and pain.
Lovely day out really.

No comments:

Post a Comment