Welcome

Welcome to this corner of the web. Hope you find it interesting. If you do: come back again, tell your mum or subscribe! If you want to share your thoughts on cycling in the early 21st century, then do it.

Tuesday 15 October 2013

Are very bright LED lights dividing cyclists?

With the night's drawing in, lights are being dusted off and re-strapped to bikes around the country. It's funny but bike lights can and are causing issues between cyclists - as I discovered yesterday.

While riding home in the pissing rain some guy riding the opposite direction shouted something like 'disco bike' at me. He seemed pretty hostile and was a bit flustered that I had my front lamp set to flash - I wasn't bothered by his light at all. Apart from what the fu*k it had to do with him, I've noticed a few times lately that riders are having a go at one another due to the brightness of lamps.
The new Cateye Hiroshima
I've only had this one I hasten to add but I've heard people complaining that others are riding with lights. No matter how good bike lights have become since the development of LEDs, they are not as bright as car headlamps and cyclists never, usually, complain about car's lamps. Bike lights are admittedly higher and are not dipped but you'd think a cyclists having a go at another cyclist for using lights would be a rare thing - apparently not.

Later on the same ride I had to have an argument with some car knob who, after pulling out on me, had his fat wife tell me I didn't have my lights on! Cant win! I've reported him to plod anyway - yes I can remember a number plate the length of time it takes me to get my phone out of my pocket to make a note of it.

Anyway, cyclists, what do you think? Are uber bright LED lights a problem?

No comments:

Post a Comment