Welcome

Welcome to this corner of the web. Hope you find it interesting. If you do: come back again, tell your mum or subscribe! If you want to share your thoughts on cycling in the early 21st century, then do it.

Monday 8 October 2012

Away fixture

Beautiful weekend we've just had and one which was an absolute 'don't miss' for cycling.  As I was away for the month in-law's birthday, it was going to be a bit of a challenge to get out on the road but fortunately for me, my mother in law is not the stereotype of Bernard Manning 'jokes' but an all round good egg so it was no sweat.
Driffield is the capital of the Wolds by all accounts
So off I set into the Yorkshire Wolds and what a superb place for riding it is.  I didn't really have a plan other than to follow my nose and do about three hours.  Quite why there are not a whole host of international class cyclists from East Yorkshire I don't know as there are some tough roads out there.  My route used part of the Route 166 Sustrans national cycle network.
While the climbs lack the length and height you get in North Wales or the Peak District, it is a constant up hill and down dale all day.  Some tough little buggers too - great rolling roads, exposed hill tops and fast descents.
Great place names too: Duggleby, Kirby Grindalythe and Lagtoft. 
A great part of the world for cycling if a little unknown. The only sad thing was the lack of cyclists out on the road.  During my three hour five minute ride, I saw only one other person out on a bike.  OK, so there are fewer people living there and its a big place - but just one person?
Ah well, their loss I suppose...
Ride safe

No comments:

Post a Comment