Welcome

Welcome to this corner of the web. Hope you find it interesting. If you do: come back again, tell your mum or subscribe! If you want to share your thoughts on cycling in the early 21st century, then do it.

Monday 24 September 2012

Cycling: Manchester's Other sport?

It's been raining for about 18 hours solid now but I'm determined to not let it get to me.  I've not had much opportunity to blog of late and as I dry out from this morning's commute, I've been thinking about Manchester and what the city offers cyclists.
Manchester is no worse, or better, than any other typical UK city for cycling infrastructure - it's generally shite with the odd decent bit thrown in where it can be retro fitted into the existing road network.
Manchester should really be much, much better though.
The civic leaders are quick to extol the virtues of having Team GB holed up in East Manchester and point to their presence with pride - rightly so too.
It was, after all Manchester City Council, or rather its council tax payers, which stumped up the money to pay for the Velodrome and British Cycling's electricity bill back in the day.
But there's could be so much more which could be done.  So, what, I hear you ask am I going to do about it?  Well, other than occasionally blog about the region and tut at things I don't like, I'm going to check out the Greater Manchester Cycling Campaign with a view to getting involved in their activities.
I'm also going to ask Trinity Mirror why the Manchester Evening News does not have a dedicated cycling section on its website.  Surely if there's enough going on in Golf and Basketball in the region, cycling deserves a place outside of 'other sports'.

Ride safe

No comments:

Post a Comment