Welcome

Welcome to this corner of the web. Hope you find it interesting. If you do: come back again, tell your mum or subscribe! If you want to share your thoughts on cycling in the early 21st century, then do it.

Wednesday 13 November 2013

How to build bike wheels

Wheel building has always been a mystery to me. In fact, one of the most dangerous sights for any bike wheel is me with a spoke key in my hand.
However, I've recently become obsessed with the art of building wheels to the extent where I think i'm going to buy myself a jig, some lovely Hope hubs, Mavic rims and some spokes; put the kettle on and see what happens.

There's something quite cathartic about building and truing wheels - at least watching other people do it - something calming about the fact that putting the spokes in is called lacing and making it straight is called truing - it's just nice!

Of course, there is only one place to start with this challenge - youtube. The series of films from this chap from the US of A is really good and makes it look dead easy.


There are loads of others out there too, so spoke key in hand, I'm going to give it a whirl. It can't be that difficult can it?

No comments:

Post a Comment