Welcome

Welcome to this corner of the web. Hope you find it interesting. If you do: come back again, tell your mum or subscribe! If you want to share your thoughts on cycling in the early 21st century, then do it.

Wednesday 21 November 2012

Can't go slow in Manchester?

Beyond anything, this blog is trying uncover and champion all aspects of cycling culture principally in Manchester and the surrounding region.  From people pootling to the shops on upright town bikes in the sunshine to the grand tours which are piped into my front room by Eurosport and everything in-between.
What I find most interesting is how cycling can unify disparate groups of people.  I've banged on before about how I see the bike as a democratising vehicle and one which brings people of different genders, classes and races together.
So, it is therefore always really pleasing when you shine your torch into a hitherto dark corner and discover a fully functioning and energetic group of bikers who are doing their own thing in their own particular way.
Just such a thing happened to me the other night when I had my eyes opened to the cantgoslo cycling sub-culture.
No such word
Now, I had been sort of aware that this group existed as I'd seen their stickers around and about.  To be honest, I thought it was something to do with Norway - with the Oslo reference.
However, I was delighted to discover that it is in fact, a group of passionate fixie riders who, when you boil it down to its fundamental elements, rag around on their bikes, eyeballs out, enjoying themselves. That's what cycling is supposed to be isn't it?  Fun.
They put on events - like film screenings at Cord Bar in the Northern Quarter and regular 'races' around the city.
The accoutrements of this world take their lead from what you might call the courier look: very urban, beards, earrings, tatts, caps and other stuff.  There are few references to pro-cycling save for a commodity fetish for 'old school' hardware.  You have to say, it looks pretty good, apart from the beards perhaps!
If you want to know more then you can find them on Bacefook or check out their website.  
Enjoy and ride safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment