Welcome

Welcome to this corner of the web. Hope you find it interesting. If you do: come back again, tell your mum or subscribe! If you want to share your thoughts on cycling in the early 21st century, then do it.

Thursday 30 August 2012

Look, pedals

One of the first things that happens to anyone who has used one of the various forms of clipless pedals is a moment of sheer terror. One moment you'll be happily cycling along when up ahead the lights will change to red.
'Ah ha, no problem' you'll think. A bit of brake, avoid the pothole: Bob's your uncle and Fanny might well be your aunt.
Then, with your speed at around half a metre per second, the sudden panic sets in as you realise you're still attached to your bike by your feet.
Frantic pulling ensues before you finally remember to twist your heel. Your foot pops out and you stabilise yourself about 1/10,000 of a second before you would have fallen over to the sound of an imaginary swanee whistle, making everyone at the bus stop opposite smirk.
Fortunately you learn this lesson PDQ and your clipless pedals soon become a close friend.
I recount this lesson as I've recently switched to using Look pedals for the very first time and I confess, I'm struggling to adjust a bit.
Like a decadent night club: lovely but a bugger to get into
I've always used SPDs, even on road bikes. Probably because I rode a mountain bike for years, I just really get on with SPDs.
While I haven't come close to toppling over with the Look pedals, I find them much more difficult to clip in rather than clip out.
So, while with SPDs from a standing start, you are just up and away, the amount of faffing around you have to do at 3mph trying to get the Look pedal and plate to the right position is a bit of a pain in the arse I'm afraid to say.
Obviously, I need to persevere and I'm sure I'll get my technique down in due course. But it's particularly important when cycling through traffic to get out in front of cars from the lights - make them see you and all that jazz.
This is quite tricky to achieve when your trying to marry two components which are necessarily invisible to you.
The resulting pedalling with the arch of one of your feet is ungainly and not especially effective.
I'm sure I'll get better at it in due course.

No comments:

Post a Comment