Welcome

Welcome to this corner of the web. Hope you find it interesting. If you do: come back again, tell your mum or subscribe! If you want to share your thoughts on cycling in the early 21st century, then do it.

Friday 3 August 2012

Undercover

I count myself a as rather fortunate when it comes to parking my bike at work.  For years I had to leave my bike locked on the streets of Manchester City Centre, open to the elements and in the eyes of ne'er-do-wells.
A couple of years ago the inevitable happened and I had my bike nicked.
It was a really nice Cannondale and was, at the time, the first brand new bike I'd ever owned.
Even back to my royal blue Raleigh Grifter, I've always had second hand [pre-loved in current parlance] bikes.
So I was gutted to find my lock attached to a Sheffield stand with no corresponding bike.  The thing is, whoever took it must have cut through the rear triangle to get it free - buggerists.
So, following that episode, I made it my mission to seek out alternative accommodation and I found some under my feet.
My pride and joy now resides, safely I hope, in the basement car park of my work building.  I even have a rag and some GT85 next to it to give it a bit of a once over when it rains - which is every day.
I recently spotted some very enlightened staff bike parking which consisted of a perspex dome with coded entry and everything.
It so important to keep you bike out of the elements for extended periods, particularly when the roads have been gritted [September - May  in some parts of Greater Manchester].
Have a look at some of the bikes which are kept outside the next time you're walking around and check out the spectrum of chain colours - silver, black through to the full rust orange experience.
Ride safe

No comments:

Post a Comment