Welcome

Welcome to this corner of the web. Hope you find it interesting. If you do: come back again, tell your mum or subscribe! If you want to share your thoughts on cycling in the early 21st century, then do it.

Tuesday 28 August 2012

Steel fork failure

If you are reading this post because the title has recently happened to your bike, then I really hope you are OK.
I'm posting this as a lesson, to myself and to anybody else who's interested.
Having not come off my bike for four years, I've now had three spills this year; two of which happened within 6 weeks of each other. My most recent bike accident (see 8 Aug 2012) was as a result of a catastrophic failure of the steel forks on my bike.
It was a pretty horrible experience all round: riding along in the sunshine one minute, then out cold with blood coming out of my head the next.  Throw in some short term memory loss and this was one of the worst spills I've ever had.  Fortunately I was in the bit of bike like which crosses the Mancunian Way above Chester Road underpass and so not on the road. It could have been much, much worse though so I do consider myself to be lucky.
For forks' sake! New two-piece fork system
Having had a good look at the forks it's clear that the weld failed on one side of the steerer tube inside the fork crown - to the right side of the holes which take the break calliper bolt - leaving the opposite side very vulnerable to lateral movement.
Probably just too many years of riding on the superbly surfaced British roads for them.
Anyways, I'm mostly healed now and was finally able to whizz them out and measure the steerer tube so I can order some new ones.  So it should be up and running again before you can say antidisestablishmentarianism. 


No comments:

Post a Comment